Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Diwali night fireworks

I’m here in the apartment, listening to the Diwali fireworks going off everywhere around me.

I went up onto the roof of the apartment earlier & it was surreal.

You remember those scenes from the 1991 & 2003 Gulf Wars – you know where the CNN reporters were on the rooftops of the hotels filming the air strikes on Baghdad??

That’s exactly what it looked liked. 

Green & orange tracer (ie: fireworks) shoots across the sky – generally in a downwards pointing direction (which is disturbing). Explosions (ie: more fireworks) on the ground light up the smog.

Smog has been hanging over Delhi for nearly two weeks now & it adds to the moment.

I took several videos from the roof - playing them back, you think you’re in a war zone.

I don’t even want to know what they’re letting off next door – it sounds big & the apartment shakes when it’s launched !!

I grew up in Brisbane & cracker night was already banned. The only explosions I used to hear were my brothers experimenting with their chemistry sets – in dad’s garage.

I missed Diwali last year too so this is a whole new experience for me.

Next year – I’m going to make sure we pick up some fireworks from Old Delhi & join in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment