Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Welcome to New Delhi

Hiya folks,

Well...I figured it was time that I actually put something in this post given that I'm now in India.

We arrived in Delhi last night (8th February) & boy was the drive from the airport a bit of an eye-opener !! Some interesting observations that I have to share:

There appears to be no concept of lanes when it comes to driving the streets. It seems to be a swelling mass of traffic that just seems to weave its way around each other (without hitting anything !!). It also seems to be obligatory to have your hand constantly on the horn. The day is filled with the sounds of horns blaring from everywhere.

Pedestrian crossings: use them at your own peril !! Firstly....there isn’t any ramp leading to the crossing...they just seem to have randomly chosen a place for a crossing & then have painted it on the road. If you want to actually use it...just walk out into the traffic....they’ll weave their way around you.

I saw my first sacred cow (two actually) this afternoon (the 9th) just kinda standing there by the side of the road, munching on some plastic bags.

I have seen my first beggars. I ignored the one last night (a woman with a baby) but I made the mistake of looking at the one this afternoon: it was a woman pushing a trolley with a man on it. He had most of his fingers missing, I’m sure one of his eyes was full of cataracts & I couldn’t stand to look at his legs. I’m going to see alot more of this here & I’m not sure I’m ever going to get used to that !!

We were stalked by a tuk-tuk driver this morning as we went for a walk to Khan markets. He just wouldn’t take no for an answer. We had another tuk-tuk driver stalk us but some “stern” words from Tania made him go away. Pity the other guy seemed oblivous to Tania's powers.

What is it with guys just standing by the side of the road here ?? Tania’s friend, Stef, had a term for these guys in the Middle East: he called them the “busy men”. Well Stef...they’ve got them here too. If they’re not taking a piss by the side of the road, they’re playing card games or just “hanging” out.

Tipping is the done thing here: you tip everyone it seems. That's going to take a little getting used to !!

We spent this afternoon looking at potential houses for Tania & I to live. The one that was being organised for us before we came over fell through...seems that someone else gazzumped us on that one. We looked at two places in Vasant Vihar (a suburb to the south west of the Australian High Commission) & we think we've found a place: a four bedroom palace with LOTS of room & plenty of bathrooms (for those times when everyone's got Delhi Belly). Will let you know if it all works out.

Wherever place we move into, it will be known as the T&S Taj & bookings are easily available through yours truly (if you're passing through Delhi).

Well...I'll leave it at that for the time being. Just wanted to let you all know that we've made it to Delhi okay & are now starting to settle in.

This place is going to be such a spin out !!

No comments:

Post a Comment